Friday, April 2, 2010

WHAT BRINGS ME TO GOR AND WHAT KEEPS ME HERE? (PART ONE)

I have been considering this question for some time since I had first seen the post on a message board, and there are a couple of you who know bits and pieces of how I came to be in Gor but not the whole story.

The year was 1998. I was a Jehovah's Witness at the time but had gotten a little disgruntled and disillusioned with the organization so what I would do is head to the community college during the day about once or twice a week to relax and surf the Internet. While online I had made a few friends in Chatropolis and would speak with them off and on. One day I had gotten an illegal operation on Netscape and so the browser shut down on me. When I pulled it up and came back online I had scrolled past the main room I was a regular in and then came to a few roleplay rooms. I had seen a couple of Vampire rooms and then came up on Gor. I was taken aback and then decided to take a look at a website of one of the rooms (BLADE's Kassar Camp) to see what it is about. Now, as I mentioned in my blog article entitled The decline of online Gor (part one) which I reprinted an entry I wrote in my rant blog about December of 2006 to begin my Writings of Gor blog in March, 2007, at the time I knew absolutely nothing about Gor and as such I went into a Kassar Camp on Chatropolis which was led by BLADE. I chose to enter as a Klingon named Worf based on the fact I am a huge Star Trek fan and as I read the Kassar pages I saw that Goreans value honor above everything else, like Klingons do. I spent an hour just observing there and then left for the day because at the time I was only on during the day for I was relying on public transportation at the time and had no internet access at home. When I went back online the following week I went into the room I was a regular in and met one who told me about WebMaze, so I went to check that site out and then I had seen more Gor rooms. NOW I was intrigued a little more having seen Gor rooms on both Chatro and Maze so I went into the Tuchuk Camp which had a couple of people in there, one in particular the Ubar, and just watched for a short time. After a couple of visits and also assisting one of the members I had become a member of the home, slowly rising through the ranks.

 

Since then I had become somewhat of a fixture in Gor, making friends and enemies with a few decisions and actions I had made as well as associating with a few people here and there, which I will speak more in-depth on in future blog entries. Do I regret coming to Gor? No way. Had I thought of leaving? There had been a few times in which I had actually left for a time, times, and half a time, but those leavings (since I came back from a 3-year hiatus in 2006) were short in stature, only lasting for two or three months in which I had been disgruntled over a few things I had seen and in fact which I had read some of the old entries and articles I had printed out back from 1999 – 2003 (a few things of which I had reprinted in recent blog entries) and reread them often to try to bring me back to the philosophy and the behavior of Gor. Yes there are times in which I fail or think I fail and as such take a small break here and there, but there is something that keeps drawing me back. That something is the community and company of fellow Goreans I had met in my 11.5 years on Gor. No matter what names we use, no matter what status we are, one thing always remains, no matter what our feelings are toward one another, one thing that will NEVER be forgotten is the fact that we are all travelers in this world known as Gor.

No comments: